We Must End Systemic Racism; Companies Can Make a Real Difference
Open to All is a campaign to transform America towards a shared vision that everyone should be welcome regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, immigration status, religion or disability.
The senseless and heartbreaking killings of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, Tony McDade, and countless others—and the hate violence and ongoing injustice experienced by the Black community shows how far we still are from that ideal.
We know that building a stronger country means everyone should feel safe, respected and accepted as they live, work, go grocery shopping, go for a run or a walk in the park, and when they interact with law enforcement.
Open to All calls for an end to systemic racism and hate violence.
This moment requires Black voices to lead, and for the rest of us to truly listen and learn what real allyship requires. The time has long passed when silence is okay, when we watch from the safety of the sidelines—we must take action—not as a token towards inclusivity, but as a core and integral part of what it means to be a business in America. A business that looks towards a thriving and welcoming future where all are welcome. Where we are all valued. Where everyone can contribute. Where we are all safe. Where Black Lives Matter.
In the words of Archbishop Desmond Tutu, “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.” At a time of deep divisions, Open to All is encouraging companies to come together to build a better America and challenge racial injustice across this country. A journey begins with a single step. Here are just a few steps that companies, large and small, can take to make a difference:
- Donate to a Black-led organization doing the work to fight racial injustice nationally and in local communities.
- Make a public statement in support of Black customers, employees, colleagues and the Black community from company leadership and share it on social media.
- Create a space for internal dialogue and provide resources, information and support to employees.
- Make a commitment and continue to invest in diversity, equity and inclusion efforts including: hiring, retention & advancement policies, and anti-racist and bias training.
- Engage with and listen to Black-led organizations nationally and locally to combat racism.
- Explore ways to lift up, partner, and support businesses and brands owned by Black people, Indigenous people, and other people of color.
- Lend a corporate or small business voice in support of policy changes at the local, state, and federal level that promote fairness and equity, and that prohibit all forms of discrimination.
We are proud to be a coalition of businesses who see fairness and inclusion as a core part of how they do business. Here are a few ways that Open to All companies are making the commitment to end systemic racism and hate violence:
Spread the Word
Order window clings and a toolkit to reach out to local businesses. Ask them to sign the Open to All pledge and show their support publicly!
Open to All on Yelp
Let supportive businesses know about Yelp’s new “Open to All” attribute and encourage them to check the box!
Share on Social Media
Help spread the word about Open to All by sharing the images and videos linked below on social media using #OpenToAll
Add your voice to the growing chorus of Americans who reject discrimination! Be a part of the Open to All campaign!