We Must Stop Asian Hate; Companies Can Have Meaningful Impact
Open to All® is a campaign to transform America towards a shared vision that everyone should be welcome regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, immigration status, religion or disability.
However, the hate violence and ongoing injustice experienced by the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community shows how far we still are from that ideal.
We denounce the senseless and heartbreaking violence towards the AAPI community, intensified by last week’s tragic murders in Atlanta. The AAPI community has been targeted throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, but discrimination and hate crimes against this community have a troubling history in our country.
Open to All® calls for an end to systemic racism and hate violence.
This moment requires AAPI voices to lead, and for the rest of us to truly listen and learn what real allyship requires. The time has long passed when silence is acceptable, when we watch from the safety of the sidelines—we must take action—not as a token towards inclusivity, but as a core and integral part of what it means to be a business in America. A business that looks towards a thriving and welcoming future where all are welcome. Where we are all valued. Where everyone can contribute. Where we are all safe.
Open to All® encourages companies to come together to build a better America and challenge racial injustice across this country. A journey begins with a single step. Here are just a few steps that companies, large and small, can take to make a difference:
- Donate to an AAPI-led organization doing the work to fight racial injustice nationally and in local communities.
- Make a public statement in support of AAPI customers, employees, colleagues and the AAPI community from company leadership and share it on social media. We include examples below.
- Create a space for internal dialogue and provide resources, information and support to employees.
- Make a commitment and continue to invest in diversity, equity and inclusion efforts, including hiring, retention & advancement policies, and anti-racist and bias training. Asian Americans Advancing Justice offers trainings.
- Engage with and listen to AAPI-led organizations nationally and locally to combat racism. Follow these organizations on social media and share their information and resources.
- Explore ways to lift up, partner, and support businesses and brands owned by AAPI people.
- Lend a corporate or small business voice in support of policy changes at the local, state, and federal level that promotes fairness and equity, and that prohibits all forms of discrimination.
Please visit Open to All’s Fighting Anti-AAPI Racism Resources Page for information, resources, and a social media toolkit.
We are proud to be a coalition of businesses who see fairness and inclusion as a core part of how they do business. Here is a range of ways that Open to All® companies are making the commitment to end systemic racism and hate violence:
- American Eagle Outfitters
- Ben & Jerry’s
- Capri Holdings Limited
- DICK’S Sporting Goods
- Gap Inc.
- J. Crew Group
- The Knot Worldwide
- Levi Strauss & Co.
- Marriott International
- Ralph Lauren
GET THE RESOURCES
Get business resources to let employees, customers, and community members know this business Open to All.
OPEN TO ALL ON YELP
Find and support Open to All businesses near you by searching on Yelp.com or the Yelp app, and filtering using the Open to All attribute.
SHARE ON SOCIAL
Help spread the word about Open to All by sharing the images and videos linked below on social media using #OpenToAll
Add your voice to the growing chorus of Americans who reject discrimination! Be a part of the Open to All campaign!